Welcome to Screening Assessment for Employment - Northern Territory (SAFE NT). SAFE NT is responsible for:
- Working with Children Clearance (Ochre Card)
- National Police Checks (also known as Criminal History Checks)
- National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Worker Screening Check
To apply for any of these checks, click on the Online Portal button below.
Paper applications for Ochre Cards and National Police checks can be submitted at SAFE NT or Territory Business Centres. Find out where we are located!
- Conducts National Police Checks and issues National Police Certificates for purposes including employment, licensing and regulation.
- Conducts Working with Children checks (WWC) and recommends on 'clearance notices' (Ochre Card) to persons working with children (under the Care and Protection of Children Act (CPCA).
- Conducts National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Worker Screening checks and determines if a person is granted a clearance (under the National Disability Scheme (Worker Clearance) Act 2020).
- Manages and supports the operation of the 'Screening Authority' (CPCA).
- Reviews quality checking of criminal history information and the management and release of criminal history information to non-police entities, as authorised by legislation
- Manages applications for probity screening for persons seeking employment with Northern Territory Police, Fire and Emergency Services (NTPFES) and contractors requiring access to NTPFES assets.
A complete listing of acts and regulations, including the ones mentioned above, can be found at the Current Northern Territory Legislation Database.
For further information regarding the Working with Children Ochre Card please visit the Working with Children website.
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
The NDIS Worker Screening Check forms part of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Quality and Safeguarding Framework. The NDIS Worker Screening Check is an assessment of whether a person who works, or seeks to work, with people with disability poses a risk to them. The assessment will determine whether a person is cleared or excluded from working in risk assessed roles with people with disability.
The new arrangements were rolled out nationally on 1 February 2021, however, workers in the NT will not able to apply for a NDIS Worker Screening check until 1 July 2021. Screening Assessment for Employment NT, also known as SAFE NT, will be responsible for managing NDIS Worker Screening in the NT.
- What do I need to know now?
- If you currently have a valid ochre card (Working with Children Clearance), you may continue to work with people with disability until that ochre card expires.
- If your ochre card expires before 1 July 2021, you will need to reapply for your ochre card.
- After 1 July 2021
- After 1 July 2021, you will be able to apply for a NDIS Worker Screening Check, IF your employer has identified that you work in a risk assessed role.
- You do not need to apply for a NDIS Worker Screening Check until your ochre card is due to expire, even if this is after 1 July 2021. Once it expires for the first time after 1 July 2021, you will need a NDIS Worker Screening Check.
- If your role deals with children, you will need both a NDIS Worker Screening Check and a Working with Children Clearance.
- NDIS fact sheets
- More information
If you have more questions about NDIS Worker Screening in the NT, please email Police.SafeNT@pfes.nt.gov.au or call 1800 723 368 (1800 SAFE NT), or 08 8985 8985.
- General enquiries
- Hotline 1800 723368 (1800 SAFE NT)
- Phone 08 8985 8985
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office hours
Monday - Thursday 8:30am-4:30pm
Weekends and Public Holidays - CLOSED
- SAFE NT Darwin - Ground Floor, 37 Woods St, Darwin.
- Darwin - Territory Business Centre, Ground Floor, Building 3, Darwin Corporate Park, 631 Stuart Highway, Berrimah
- Alice Springs - Territory Business Centre, Ground Floor, 'The Green Well' Building, 50 Bath St, Alice Springs
- Katherine - Territory Business Centre, Shop 1, Randazzo Building, 18 Katherine Terrace, Katherine
- Tennant Creek - Territory Business Centre, Cnr Davidson and Paterson Streets, Tennant Creek