Northern Territory Police have charged a man in relation to a domestic violence incident in Tennant Creek earlier this week.
Detectives from the Tennant Creek Criminal Investigation Branch have charged the 27-year-old with:
- 10 x Aggravated assault
- 1 x Recklessly endangering life
- 2 x Make threat to kill
- 1 x Deprive personal liberty
- 1 x Choking, strangling or suffocating
- 3 x Armed with offensive weapon
- 1 x Drive speed dangerous to public
- 1 x Drive vehicle manner dangerous
- 1 x Fail to obey direction police officer
- 1 x L Plater drive alcohol in blood
- 1 x Drive without L plates displayed
- 1 x Damage surface of road - public place
- 2 x Fail to stop at stop sign
- 4 x Fail to report crash
He was remanded to appear in Alice Springs Local Court on Monday 8 August 2022.
Senior Sergeant Crispin Gargan said, “This was abhorrent behaviour that has no place within our community. Police would like to thank the members of the public who contacted police and stopped to assist after witnessing the assault on the highway.
“The victim was the partner of the offender and she remains in hospital in a stable condition.
“Anyone experiencing domestic or family violence is urged to reach out on 131 444 or in an emergency call 000.”