Senior Aboriginal Community Police Officer Betty Herbert has been awarded Groote Eylandt Citizen of the Year 2014.
Senior Sergeant Antony Deutrom, Alyangula Police Station
The Australia Day Awards Dinner, sponsored by Groote Eylandt Mining Company (GEMCO) was held at the Alyangula Recreation Club on 24 January.
Betty was the standout and worthy recipient amongst a number of quality nominees. She is recognised for her continued dedication to community safety and dedicated efforts throughout Groote Eylandt.
Betty is a courageous and determined individual who works tirelessly in Groote Eylandt.
Among her many achievements Betty has:
- Served 10 years at Alyangula Police Station;
- Is the Chairperson of the Groote Eylandt Milyakburra Youth Development Unit (GEMYDU);
- Is highly regarded and well respected individual throughout Groote Eylandt;
- Works tirelessly to assist in locating and bringing offenders to account;
- Assists in encouraging students to attend school;
- Provides support to the local Women’s shelter in addition to providing advice to victims of personal violence;
- Provided advice to Police and other stakeholders in relation to cultural sensitivities and protocols;
- Member of the Crime Victims Advisory Committee (CVAC).
Betty is a solid, valued and more often than not silent contributor to the communities of Groote Eylandt. She is a credit to her family and our organisation.